Friday, 1 August 2014

My American Adventure Update #3 No Place I'd Rather Be


Camp is a place where sleep takes precedence over everything else, including shower time, so my efforts to keep my blog updated whilst I've been over here have been overridden by snoozing. But with a spare 15 minutes and a request to update, I'm attempting to write again.

Tomorrow begins my final month here in America. Everyday I am grateful for the opportunity I've had here, and I'm still continually amazed by the new experiences I encounter day after day. The past 10 weeks have taught me so much more than I could have ever imagined. The theme for this summer here at Camp is Move and it could not have been any more applicable to my life.

The beginning of this summer saw me move away from home, move to a new place and move in to a new short but sweet life here in Hendersonville, NC. Camp life is a bubble, secluded from the rest of the world, and life here is very different from anything else you've ever experienced. Having campers 24/7 for 6 days a week = constant head counts, a variety of "keep you busy whilst you hike" repeat-after-me-songs, dish games to last a life time, enough tie-dye t-shirts to clothe Africa amongst many other things that only a camp councillor could understand.

As the Summer starts to end, the bittersweet thoughts of home are more frequent, goodbyes have already been said and I'm starting to prepare myself for moving in to a new chapter of life. Starting a new school and taking a new direction. The biggest thing that camp has taught me is that it's not how much work you do, but the impact you make.

2 comments :

Back to Top